Monday, August 31, 2015

Cactus Blossom Watercolor Painting

Hello Everyone! Today I want to share with you my most recent Watercolor painting titled Cactus Blossom!

 

I created this painting for a monthly art swap that I participate in! I used Arches 140 lb watercolor paper and Lucas Artist Grade watercolors. I used the following colors: Opera Rose, Alizarin Crimson, New Gamboge, Yellow Green, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, and Sap Green. To start my painting first I sketched the image of the cactus directly onto my watercolor with a HB pencil. I then used the wet into wet method to paint the cactus and petals of the cactus blossom. I then created a stencil with my Explore on a thin plastic sheet for the darker brown floral accents. I took a cosmetic sponge and just lightly dabbed it into the burnt sienna watercolor pigment and then dabbed it onto the stencil after I positioned it into my desired placement on my painting. I then removed the stencil and let everything dry. To finish I used Tim Holtz distress ink to finish the edges of my painting! Thank you so very much for stopping by and have a wonderful day! -Mindy

1 comment: