Thursday, June 4, 2015

Desert Blossoms

Happy Thursday!

Today I wanted to share one of my watercolor paintings titled "Desert Blossoms."


I painted this piece on 140 lb. watercolor paper. My vibrant colors were achieved with Lucas Studio grade watercolor paints. The image I used is from a photograph that I took here in Arizona at the Desert Botanical Gardens. First I sketched the image from various photographs that I took to get my desired layout. I then painted the background using a wet into wet approach and then increased the drama by doing a second wash with less water and more pigment. I then painted in a light wash on the cactus of the lightest values. I then increased the dimension by layering the medium tones followed by the darkest values. Lastly I used a razor blade to scrape out the highlights of the cactus spikes and then layered a light wash of color over them to add more realism. I really hope you enjoy my painting! Thank you so very much for stopping by! 

1 comment: